It was Like Christmas In June When the UPS Driver Arrived:
Yesterday I shared some first impressions about the Studio by Sculpey Polymer Clay that I’m starting to experiment with. Today I’d like to do a similar post. Only this time it will focus on the line up of polymer clay tools from Polyform (that’s the company that manufactures Studio Sculpey).
Receiving new craft tools and supplies is always very exciting for me. I’ve felt this way ever since I was 12 when my Dad brought home a set of 64 Staedtler Felt pens with the paintbrush shaped nib… all packaged so wonderfully in a special wooden case. Still have those felts, and believe it or not, many of them still work!
Now… since Studio by Sculpey products are not sold in stores up here in Western Canada (not yet anyways), my package of new tools and supplies had to be delivered via UPS. And let me tell you, it was like Christmas in June when the driver arrived!
Here’s a quick rundown of some of the items you can definitely expect to hear me talking more about in the coming weeks and months:
- Super Slicer with Handles: These slicer knife set comes with 4 blades; a long rigid blade, a shorter flexible blade, a rick rack blade (small ripple) and a wave blade (large ripple). The handles are interchangeable and are meant to keep you from picking up the blade on the wrong side and cutting yourself. Since I prefer to use the straight blades with only one hand in a pulling motion, I put one handle on each of the straight blades and left them on. Very handy!
- Style and Detail Tools: You know, the set with the over sized metal stylists on one end and rubber smoothing tips on the other. Great quality! Love love, love these. Will be able to do lots of cool things with them!
- 5-in-1 Clay Tool Set: With this one, I am wondering why they didn’t put a place in the stand to hold the handle. Also the little “S” stamp on the ends of a couple of the tools is nice and everything, but I would have preferred to see another smoothing tip instead. Maybe something nice and wide. No matter, I’m sure I’ll survive :)
- Texture Sheets and Cutter Sets: I will definitely be making some special projects with these! Already have a few super cool cane making ideas rolling around in my head.
- Rolly Texture Wheel: Very cool nifty gadget for bead making. This one is going to get used a lot.
- Etch and Pearl Set: Found myself holding these solid metal skewers to get a feel for them. Very solid.
Of the items listed above, please let me know which ones I should report on first. Or if there are other tools you are curious about, let me know that too. I’ll see if I can get a hold of them and be your guinea pig, so to speak.