Vid #101: The Simple Design of this Disk Bead is the Reason Why It Is So Profitable:
The tutorial video that will be posted later this week in the Polymer Clay Library, is all about making Disc Beads (also spelled Disk Beads). This bead shape can be summed up in three words: Simple, Desirable and Profitable.
The simple design is fast and easy to make, which is very important if you are selling your beads for profit. And the puck-like shape is also quite desirable because it can be used in so many different ways.
If you do a little research on the successful polymer clay bead artists out there, you will see that it’s these simple bead shapes, that are often the biggest sellers.
Here’s Some Reason’s Why They Are So Popular:
- Their large flat surfaces are perfect for decorating with beautiful cane slice designs. This allows you to add your own unique personality with a minimal amount of labor.
- Since they are flat on both sides, this makes them fast to sand, buff and polish. Plus the smooth rounded edges do fine in rock polishers and tumblers. This can speed up your finishing steps significantly.
- From a jewelry design perspective, they can be used in many different ways. Make them large for using as focal beads, or small to for accents and spacers.
- Disc beads can be drilled through the center and strung with their large flat surfaces stacked together like saucers. In this configuration, you’ll want to have your cane deign elements featured around the outer edges of the beads.
- Alternatively, the you can drill the hole running from edge to edge so the beads can be linked or wire wrapped with the large round surfaces prominently showing.
- If the hole is large enough they work well with hemp jewelry projects, leather lacing, silk cording and ribbon.
In my upcoming disc bead tutorial video, you will learn about 2 ways to make Disc Beads. Both are very easy to learn. The second technique in particular, is super speedy. It will have you pumping out great looking, sellable beads in no time at all.
Further down on this page is a little sneak peak video for you to watch right now if you like. The full version of the video will be available in the members library in a few days on Friday (April 10, 2009).
Here’s That “Link Below” Referred To at End of the Video
>> Polymer Clay Tutorials <<
The full version of the “Disc Bead” preview video shown above, is available for purchase at my Polymer Clay Bead Making Videos Library in the Volume-011 Back Issue Package.
The following topics are covered in this “Simple Disc Bead” video:
- Discussion of different ways to drill holes through disc beads.
- Ideas on decorating disc beads with cane slices and other creative techniques.
- Examples of disc beads wired for using as pendants, charms and links.
- Reasons why disc beads can be such a profitable bead to make in larger quantities.
- How to prepare your clay before making your disc shapes.
- A unique way to use your acrylic roller that you may not have thought about.
- The quick method for creating multi disk beads all at the same time.
- How to use a patterned sheet such as mokume gane to make multiple matching beads.