Vid #22: How To Make A Bead… Some Basic 101 Advice For Beginners:
Round is one of the first things that comes to mind when most people think about beads. When I first started working with polymer clay, I thought that rolling beads by hand would be easy. But I have to say that many of my original beginner beads ended up looking pretty wobbly… far from being perfect.
One of the secrets to rolling round beads by hand is to hold your lower hand flat and stationary, while making small circles with the top hand. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you. I’m here to help.
>> Polymer Clay Tutorials <<
The full version of the “Making Round Beads” preview video shown above, is included in my Polymer Clay Bead Making Fundamentals Course[SEE Video #18 of 39]. In it, I demonstrate how to roll perfectly round beads every time. I also discuss the following topics:
- How to position your hands properly when rolling round beads
- Dealing with soft clay issues.
- Using cornstarch to keep those nasty fingerprints at bay.
- Bead hole piercing techniques so that you don’t distort the round shape.
- What to do when the piercing does not go as planned.