Topics Covered In This Video:
- I get asked about those black streaks many times every week, so I know this is a very common problem with many clayers.
- Originally I thought it was grease coming from the rollers. But that is not the case.
- Those black lines are actually caused by scratches in the chrome plating on the pasta machine rollers, that is reacting with the chemicals in the polymer clay.
- Basically the metal scratches are oxidizing which can leave a black residue on the metal surface.
- The residue then gets transferred to the clay.
- I removed the fins from the pasta machine to show you how the rollers work, but I have an older machine that can be taken apart. Don’t take apart newer machines because they may not go back together! You’ve been warned ;-?
- Over time the rollers on the low end pasta machines get lots of scratches where the scrapers rub against them.
- Scratches tend to be on the outside edges of rollers due to scrapers bending in the middle.
- On the cheaper pasta machines/clay conditioning machines from Sculpey and Amaco, the chrome plating is low quality, and the rollers age and oxidize quickly.
- I used to suggest cleaning with Rubbing Alcohol, but I think that actually that makes things worse.
- Now my suggestion is to run some scrap translucent through your machine, which works to pick up up the black streaks. Then you can put your good clay through rollers.
- Once clean, it takes a while for oxidation to build up again.
- My theory on tools… a low end machine will do you well enough until you prove that you will use it enough to justify buying a higher end machine. In other words, buy cheap to start, then if you use it so much that it it breaks… buy the best you can afford at that stage.
- My next pasta machine purchase will be the Atlas 150 – Wellness Series with Anodized Aluminum rollers that are guaranteed not to leave black streaks.
- Related Video:Related Video: Pasta Machine Cleaning Tip #1 Baby Wipes
- Related Video: Pasta Machine Cleaning Tip #2 Scraper Build Up
- Related Video: Using Translucent Clay to Clean Pasta Machine Tip #3
- My Amazon Affiliate Resource Link: Atlas 150 Wellness Series
- My Amazon Affiliate Resource Link: Sculpey Clay Conditioning Machine
- My Amazon Affiliate Resource Link: Amaco Craft Clay Machine
Do you have any suggestions for videos on tips, techniques or products you would like to learn more about? Let me know in the comments section below!
My goal is to help you to learn quicker and easier ways to bring up the professionalism in your polymer clay art.
Oh and don’t forget to give these videos a Thumbs Up click at YouTube if you are enjoying them. The more Likes a video gets, the higher it rises in the searches. And that means even more people will be able to join in on this polymer clay journey of a lifetime.
Also, by subscribing to our YouTube Channel directly, you will receive notifications as soon as new videos are uploaded. To subscribe, click here… Pasta Machine Leaving Black Streaks On Polymer Clay The Subscribe Button is right near the top of that YouTube page.
Looking forward to hearing from you!